Strange Words and Quirky Titles

Facsicle, today's word--courtesy of Dictionary dot com--is a strange word. It sound like facsimile. What kind of -sicle is a fac? I know what fudgesicles are and popsicles, so facsicle must be a fac on a stick and something enjoyed on a hot day.

Ah, but it is not, no matter how reasonable my definition above sounds.

Here's a clue: Harry Potter is a facsicle. So is Junie B Jones.

The definition as provided by Dcom: "A section of a book or set of books published in installments as separate pamphlets or volumes."

Work this in to your conversations to sound intelligent or pompous (the effect depends on whom you're talking to). A better use: lay it down in Scrabble. Your opponents will challenge you and lose their turn, HAhahahahaha!

Strange new words lead us now to quirky titles, of which I am a big fan. My first book's title is Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning. I love this title because it lets the browser know, Hey, something exciting happens in this book! This is no sit-around-girl--she almost gets struck by lightning!

Also, maybe Violet is exaggerating. Maybe she stretches the truth--is that what the title is telling us? And maybe there's a little humor, because that's not something you hear in everyday conversation.

I am thinking about titles because we're still working on a new title for my upcoming book, TWO FLAVORS OF LUCKY. My editor and I and others at Bloomsbury/Walker have been brainstorming, but have yet to strike upon the right replacement. Myself, I'm a fan of longer titles--they tend to be quirky and humorous. So it's fortuitous that the latest edition of the SCBWI mag contains an article by Hazel Edwards entitled "Speed Dating: How to Make Up Titles for Stories." I plan to use her advice today after I finish my copy edits.

But first, I need another cappuccino and perhaps a blueberry muffin (seeing that I am out of donuts).

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Annika said...

I knew I had to read Violet Raines Almost Got Struck By Lightning the instant I heard the title. I love it so much! I have a feeling you'll find the perfect title for Two Flavors of Lucky, too.

Kimbra Kasch said...

I LOVE learning new words - so thank you, you wizardress of wisdom!

Charles Gramlich said...

I love a good title. Longer ones often do have that certain something. Violet Raines almost got struck by lightning is a great one.