Interview with Danette Vigilante regarding her Two-Book Deal with Putnam

by Danette Haworth (Yes! There are two of us!)


Today we have the privilege of speaking with Danette Vigilante, a debut author who just landed a two-book deal with G.P. Putnam's Sons. Those of us who have watched her journey on Verla Kay's Blueboards are thrilled for her and can't wait to hear the details. So what are we waiting for? Let’s get started!

DH: Danette, congratulations on your book deal! I hear there was a lot of shouting and crying and jumping at your house the other day, and I believe champagne was involved—has the reality of what you've accomplished sunk in yet?

Danette: Thank you so much. Yes, I think I burned lots of calories that afternoon. And, I’ll admit, the champagne did flow nicely into the champagne glasses I had to run out and buy!

No, reality has not fully hit me yet. I think it’s going to take time. It’s almost like this has happened in a different language, one I don’t understand. Little by little, I’ll come to understand its full impact.

DH: It probably won’t hit you until you see your books at Barnes and Noble! Face out, I hope!

There’s an adage among writers that it’s harder to snag an agent than it is to land a publisher, but at the same time, writers are advised to refrain from submitting to publishers because potential agents don’t like a manuscript that’s been shopped around (even if only to a few houses). What was your submission experience like?

To read this interview in its entirety, click here.

0 comments: